Our pets are a part of our family and it is our responsibility to take care of their health. Just like humans, pets are prone to various health issues, such as dental diseases, especially as they get older. At Bixby Animal Clinic in Long Beach, CA, we provide dental care to alleviate any discomfort your cat or dog may have and improve its well-being.
What Are Some Common Dental Diseases in Pets?
If your pet is exhibiting any signs of dental disease, it is important to visit our clinic as soon as possible for an exam. Some common dental diseases in pets include:
- Periodontal Disease: This common dental problem begins when plaque builds up on your pet’s teeth. When the plaque gets harder, it turns to tartar and can lead to inflamed gums or an infection.
- Dental Abscesses: If dental problems are neglected, they keep progressing and may lead to an abscess. An abscess can be extremely painful and may require surgical intervention.
- Fractured or Broken Teeth: Pets use their teeth daily to eat and play. Pets going without dental hygiene for extended periods of time can develop fractured and broken teeth. Sometimes it may be difficult to fix the teeth in certain situations, which may lead to extractions.
- Oral Tumors: Oral tumors are common in pets and they are often not obvious, especially during the early stages. For this reason, it is important to have your pet visit our veterinarians for a regular check-up at least once a year.
The Importance of Dental Care for Pets
Regular dental care is necessary for pets because it helps prevent a variety of dental diseases. Some ways you can prevent dental diseases in your cat or dog include:
- Proper Brushing: Just like humans, pets also need regular brushing to keep their teeth healthy.
- Special Toys and Chews: Certain pet toys and chews can help remove plaque and prevent tartar from building up.
- Healthy Diet: It’s important that your pet eats healthy foods to keep its teeth in good condition. Along with that, there are special formulas created to reduce tartar and plaque.
- Monitoring Your Pet: Always keep an eye on your pet's behavior. Any changes in behavior, such as loss of appetite, may indicate dental problems.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you’re looking for a veterinarian near me that offers quality pet dental care, contact Bixby Animal Clinic in Long Beach, CA, at (562) 426-4066 today. Our team of professionals are ready to take care of your pet and its teeth. We also offer urgent care and look forward to improving your pet’s health and wellness!